What is it?
hidentd is a simple and secure GPLed ident (RFC1413) server. It requires either inetd, xinetd or ucspi-tcp to run. Basic features:
- small and simple - around 300 lines of code
- secure - runs without root priviledges when possible
- easy - no complicated configuration file syntax to learn. hidentd is entirely controlled with command line options.
- portable - runs under Linux and FreeBSD. Porting to other systems is extremely easy.
- can be configured to provide fake usernames, protecting your privacy
- limited masqueraded/NAT connections support.
Warning: ident protocol is obsolete. Don't set up an ident server unless you really need it.
- HTMLized manpage
- installation instructions for ucspi-tcp users
- installation instructions for inetd zealots
- installation instructions for xinetd adepts
- RFC1413 for the curious
- A tiny porting guide
- email@example.com - report bugs here.
- firstname.lastname@example.org - hidentd mailing list. Questions,
feature requests, announcements should go here.
Send an empty e-mail to email@example.com to subscribe. Users who are not subscribed are not allowed to post.